Well I'm not, but I'm having a lot of fun
My first two Plasmoids are very simple but gave me a brief look into the possibilities of the Plasma Workspace, and I had to ask a lot of newbie questions on plasma-devel which is a very responsive mailing list. I cannot remember any of my questions that have gone unanswered and most of them with very good solutions and/or answers.
My latest endeavor is a bit more challenging. Plasma doesn't have a simple ListView so you'll have to use a Plasma.ScrollWidget and implement the methods yourself. For me that was somewhat annoying primarily because I'm still fighting a stale battle with the Qt layouts
Now I have to figure out how I'm gonna the cache Last.fm feed and all the pics that I'm downloading. For 3 reasons, the most important is of course performance, followed by the fact that the tests I've run on my crappy HW results in X pixmaps getting corrupted [*], and lastly that it's a part of the Last.fm ToS...
For now I use
job = KIO.get(KUrl(url), KIO.NoReload, KIO.HideProgressInfo) and connect to
job's signals to get the the feed and to download the thumbnail pics of the events I use
KIO.file_copy(from, to). This basically works but how can I get the HTTP Headers? I need to know if I should reuse the data I already have or if I should download it again.
Regarding the actual caching I was considering using a combination of:
KIconLoader::KIconLoader(const QString &appname = QString(), KStandardDirs *dirs = 0, QObject *parent = 0)
KIcon (const QString &iconName, KIconLoader *iconLoader)
But I'm uncertain how to use them.
Comments are very welcome as I'm a bit stuck here.
[*] I have no idea what I'm talking about here, but I get black icons after running X number of tests :-/
And are no screen shots in this post as the work has mostly been "under the hood".
Powered by Blogilo
Now there's a shiny, new Google Translator Plasmoid version 0.6.
Well maybe that's a bit exaggerated because the User Interface hasn't changed a bit, but there's a lot of new stuff going on under the hood that will also soon benefit the Currency Converter Plasmoid.
Changes can be found in the Changelog.
Powered by Blogilo
Finally I got to update my Google Translator Plasmoid to version 0.4.2.
Changes since I last updated this blog includes:
For the last 2-3 weeks I have been working on a couple of scripted Plasmoids for KDE4.x written in Python. First I started with the Currency Converter which uses data from Yahoo! Finance. When it was sorta working I figured out that I could create a Google Translator Plasmoid using almost the same code, so now I'm maintaining them concurrently. Well - 'nuff said. Here ther are: